Landfill Gas and Vapour Risk Assessment
Potentially hazardous ground gases may exist naturally, or be present as a consequence of contamination resulting from former use of the site. Typical potentially hazardous gases include methane, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, hydrogen sulphide, mercury and often a variety of volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
Historically, contaminated land assessment has focussed on the risks to human health and the environment from soil and groundwater contamination. More recently, there has been a number of high-profile ‘gassing’ sites resulting in a heightened awareness of the potential acute and chronic risks to human health from hazardous ground gases.
While there are a growing number of national and international guidelines related to this area, Core believe that each site presents its own unique situation and certainly no development is the same. Therefore, whether it is a simple or complex site, Core adopt a site-specific risk assessment approach underpinned by science, engineering, legislative requirements, best-practice and risk assessment principles.
Our services include:
- Preliminary landfill gas and soil vapour intrusion surveys.
- Landfill gas human health risk assessment.
- Vapour intrusion human health risk assessments.
- Development of bespoke sampling and analysis workplans for contaminated sites.
- Landfill gas interception wall design.
- Development of gas/vapour remediation action plans., including risk-based remediation criteria.
- Indoor air quality testing.
- Environmental Auditor technical support.